Sometimes you need to know the full path or absolute path of a directory or a file stored on a web server. For example if you are using .htaccess file restrict access to the WordPress dashboard, you need to specify the absolute path of the .htpasswd file (Apache password file) in the .htacecss file or the authentication does not work.
Below is a simple three line PHP script which you can use to find out the absolute path of the directory where it is uploaded.
<?php echo getcwd(); ?>
Procedure to find the absolute path of a directory on your website
- Launch notepad or any text editor of your choice
- Copy the above script to the new file
- Save the file as path.php
- Using an FTP client, upload path.php to the directory which you want to know the path of
- Using a web browser, navigating to the script e.g. http://www.website.com/directory/path.php