Search Knowledge Base by Keyword
How to get Google reCAPTCHA keys
CAPTCHA 4WP uses a Site Key and Secret Key pair to connect to the Google ReCAPTCHA service and display reCaptcha on your WordPress website. These keys are important as without them, the connection to Google ReCAPTCHA will not work.
IMPORTANT: Every key pair is tied to one domain and one version of ReCAPCTHA. As such, you will need to make sure that you configure a unique pair for every version of ReCAPTCHA you plan to use on your website. If you change the ReCAPTCHA version on your WordPress website without updating the keys you will be locked out.
CAPTCHA 4WP supports V2 I’m not a robot, V2 Invisible, and V3. In this FAQ guide, we will be looking at how you can configure V3 to use in your website.
Head to Google’s reCAPTCHA service website.
Click on v3 Admin Console and then enter your Google email address and password. If you do not have a Google account, you can easily create one by visiting google.com.
Once you have logged in, the website will take you to the admin console. Click on the plus sign (+) in the secondary header menu.
This will open the Register a new site form, which you need to fill in as per below:
- Label – This is a friendly name that you must provide for the key set. The name can be anything you want and has no bearing on how ReCAPTCHA is implemented
- reCAPTCHA type – Here, you will need to choose the type of reCAPTCHA that you would like to implement on your WordPress website. CAPTCHA 4WP supports reCAPTCHA v3, reCAPTCHA v2 – “I’m not a robot” Checkbox, and reCAPTCHA v2 – Invisible reCAPTCHA badge
- Domains – Enter the domain name of the website where you want to use the reCAPTCHA. Valid domain names must include the hostname and TLD and must not include any paths
- Owners – By default, the owner will be the google account you used to log in. If you would like to add other owners, enter their email addresses here
- Accept the reCAPTCHA Terms of Service – To be able to continue, you need to accept the terms of service associated with the reCAPTCHA service
- Send alters to owners – Tick this checkbox if you would like the owners listed in step four to receive alerts if Google detects a problem
It is very important to make sure that you choose the right type of reCAPTCHA. If the reCAPTCHA type configuration does not match between Google and the plugin, you may not be able to log in to your website.
Get and copy the keys
Once ready, click on SUBMIT to save all of the data that you filled in. The page will refresh automatically, and you will receive your Site Key and Secret Key. Ensure you store these in a safe place, as you will need them to configure the plugin as explained in the CAPTCHA 4WP getting started guide.